The following is valid for all Campaignion Out-of-the-Box installations. If you have a customised version, there may be slight differences. Feel free to ask support if in doubt!
Please be aware that for syncing of Campaignion data with a Mailchimp list to work, the supporter needs to have an email optin activated for that list either through a Campaignion webform or already saved in the Campaignion supporter database.
Adding merge fields step-by-step
We will take the example of the tags field :)
- open the list(s) you'll be using in MailChimp
- go to Settings --> "List fields and *
- scroll to bottom --> "Add a field"
- choose type "text"
- name it "Tags"
- replace the merge "MMERGE1" (the number after the MMERGE can vary) with "TAGS"
- Save the changes
Repeat these steps for all the fields you need. The available merge fields are listed below.
Campaignion offers the following standard merge fields:
- EMAIL --> a text field for the email address
- FNAME --> a text field for first name
- LNAME --> a text field for last name
- SALUTATION --> a text field with Mr, Mrs, Ms, ...
- TITLE --> a text field with Dr., Prof, ...
- GENDER --> a text field with m or f
- DOB --> either a text field or a birthday field for the date of birth
- COUNTRY --> a text field for a country chosen in the corresponding form field
- ZIP --> a text field with zip code / post code
- CITY --> might also be a village ;-P
- REGION --> or State, or devolved country
- STREET --> for the Street / Address1 field
- CREATED --> a date field or a text field for when was this supporter record was created first in Campaignion
- UPDATED --> a date field or a text field when was this supporter record was last updated
- TAGS --> a text field for the auto-segmentation tags you've added in your online action
On request, some additional merge fields can be available under some conditions (supporters with a postcode in the UK, "Email to Target" feature activated with access to the MP dataset and you asked support for the activation):
- MP_CONST --> the constituency of the supporter's MP
- MP_PARTY --> the party of the supporter's MP
- MP_NAME --> the name of the supporter's MP
- DVCOUNTRY --> devolved country of the supporter's MP, ie. England, Wales,...
It should then look something like this:
Adding your own fields to MailChimp
Apart from the standard fields listed above you can add any of your custom fields from your Campaignion webform by adding the Campaignion form key in the MailChimp merge field.
Subscribe your supporters to MailChimp interest groups
If you add a tag to (subscribed!) supporters with the tag name (exactly) matching the name of an interest group in the list the supporters are subscribed to, then they are added to this interest group automatically. The most simple way to achieve this is to add
Bear in mind that the tag field in MailChimp is limited to 256 characters, so we recommend using short, lower case names for your MailChimp interest groups. If you exceed the 256 character limit in the MailChimp tags field Campaignion will continue to sync the group names with tags set in the Campaignion action. This means that new or updated subscribers will still be added to the correct interest group, but the tag won't be recorded in the tag field.
For further information on MailChimp please refer to their really helpful documentation: kb.mailchimp.com